Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

figures in suspense account

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
sbrown1264
User
User
Sage Version: v2015 21 UK/Europe/Africa

figures in suspense account

Post by sbrown1264 » 10 Sep 2021, 07:58

Hi
when i set up Sage, we were moving over from QB, the previous bookkeeper had made a mess of the accounts in QB, so I decided not to enter any opening balances, all n/l and customer and supplier accounts were nil.

I have 6 transactions in the suspense account

1 customer ob
1 supplier ob
1 customer receipt
1 supplier payment
1 vat payment
1 bank opening balance

i dated them all this year and entered the ob's via the ob column under each customer/supplier and bank box, now my question is where/how do I enter a journal to get them to where they should be?

Regards
Stephen

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: figures in suspense account

Post by brucedenney » 13 Sep 2021, 13:48

Opening balances are posted to a suspense account 999x.

You should date them the last day of the previous financial year.

You can run a TB and select B/F and this will show the opening position for the year.

This will be incorrect because you will have adjustments and retained profits etc brought forward from your previous financial year in your previous accounting system that have not been entered, not least because yo do not know what they are at this time.

At some point in the future your accountant will do a year end, and, on request will give you what your opening TB should be.

Armed with the TB as it should be from your accountant and the opening TB (B/F) from Sage you can now make an adjusting journal in sage (dated the last day of the previous year) to make the TB in Sage match the TB from the accountant.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.