Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Delivery note printing wrong GDN number

Report design issues and solutions.
Richard B
User
User
Sage Version: v2018 24 UK/Europe/Africa

Delivery note printing wrong GDN number

Post by Richard B » 09 Sep 2021, 11:57

Hi All

I'm running Sage 50 cloud account professional. Version 27.1.562.0.

Quite often we have one order that we do multiple despatches from, the first time we create a delivery note, it prints with the correct GDN number on it. All subsequent deliveries then show this first GDN number rather than the correct number for the current delivery.

To get around this we then have to go back into the order and re-print the GDN from there, when it then shows the correct GDN number, but this is a pain.

Is there a way to get the delivery note report to print the correct GDN number. I am guessing it has something to do with the 'joins' in the report, I have played around with this but never got it to work.

Thanks

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Delivery note printing wrong GDN number

Post by brucedenney » 09 Sep 2021, 13:00

When you open a dispatch order and go to the Despatched tab

Do all the GDNs show with the correct GDN No?

If you use the View GDN at the top does it show the correct GDN No?

If you use the Print GDN at the top does it print the correct GDN No?
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Richard B
User
User

Post by Richard B » 09 Sep 2021, 13:37

Hi,

Thanks for your reply

The answer to all three of your questions is Yes. It works fine if I print a delivery note from the Despatched Tab in the order, in fact this is how we have to do it to get the correct document.

The problem is when I make a new despatch and it askes if I want to print a delivery note, if I print one this way it picks up the GDN number from the first despatch I did on this order. So I have to go back into the order and print the delivery note from the Despatched Tab instead.

Thanks.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 09 Sep 2021, 13:50

If you print a "Delivery Note", then you are not printing a "Goods Despatch Note". They are different things, working on different tables and have different data sources. The number that appears on a delivery note is the order number. The number that appears on the GDN is the GDN number.

I suspect that someone may have altered your delivery note layout to include a link to the GDN table or something, I can't tell without seeing it. That hack would not work because there is nothing to tell the layout which GDN you are printing. The Print GDN button gets passed the GDN to print from what you have selected on the screen when you press the button. When you are printing the delivery note, It is passed the order number it has no idea which GDNs are on that order as they are in a separate table altogether, even if you link that table in, you have no idea from the order number which GDN is to be used, more to the point, at the moment when you run the delivery note there is no GDN, indeed if you choose the option to print the delivery note only without despatching the order you can print it again and again, because no goods are despatched and there is no GDN.

If you want the GDN print the GDN.
If you want a delivery note print the delivery note.

The two are not the same thing.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Richard B
User
User

Post by Richard B » 09 Sep 2021, 15:12

Thanks again for your reply.

I think I follow what your saying, and you are quite right that our Delivery Note has been altered to include the GDN_NUMBER. Really, we just want a delivery document that includes the GDN number, and as you say we can get this from the Despatched Tab. The only thing is its quicker and more convenient to produce it as a Delivery Note when we actually book orders out.

One thing, you say that the GDN has not been produced at that point in the process, but a GDN_NUMBER has been allocated somehow because this gets printed correctly on our Delivery Note as long as it is the first despatch off the order.

I guess we'll just carry doing it the way we do now.

Thanks.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 13 Sep 2021, 13:40

The GDN will only be created if you do not choose the option to not create the invoice.

Richard B
User
User

Post by Richard B » 22 Sep 2021, 09:44

Hi Bruce,

I had one other thought.

In the default settings there is a field for next GDN number. Is it possible, in the delivery note, to access this information? (is it a field we can just add to the document?). If it was this would work for us as its no longer linked to the order but simply picking up the next number

Thanks.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 22 Sep 2021, 09:51

The next GDN is not available.

As per my precious post, if you do not generate the invoice when printing the delivery note, no GDN is generated.

Why not ditch the delivery note and print the GDN after each despatch?

Richard B
User
User

Post by Richard B » 22 Sep 2021, 13:14

Hi,

Why not ditch the delivery note and print the GDN after each despatch? As per my previous post, because it is much simpler and quicker to just print the delivery note as we book out the goods.

We always generate an invoice when we book goods out, so the system will always produce a GDN.

But if the next GDN is not available, then we can't go down that route.

Thanks.