Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Invoice PDF attachment Emails direct from sage not received by customers

Report design issues and solutions.
sibley14
User
User
Sage Version: v2015 21 UK/Europe/Africa

Invoice PDF attachment Emails direct from sage not received by customers

Post by sibley14 » 26 May 2020, 10:14

Hi, I wonder if someone might be able to help.

We're using Sage 50 and sending invoices/statements with PDF files attached direct by email via outlook 365. The email is being sent to the customer using our accounts email address. E.G. the email construction is 1) Pdf attachment, then auto generated text from sage, then accounts signature. When recieved by a customer it will show the email address of the sender i.e. johnsmith@thecompany.com.

We're finding regularly that customers are stating they have not received the invoice or statement, resulting in late payment It's at least 20-30 customers and normally these are consistent so i believe that they are not receiving the email as we have checked this thoroughly with them. We're actively asking customers to check the spam/junk folders to see if they can flag the email as safe.

However, what is strange about this is that if we forward the email from Sage to am internal colleague they forward the email to the same customer, then it is received no problem.

It seems then that it is emails generated from sage with a pdf, being send from our accounts email that is where the issue is. Almost like something in the code of that auto generated sage email is making sure that most email security software is flagging it as spam.

Does anyone have any experience of this issue or advice on how we can resolve this? We're finding that we 're doubling up work as accounts are sending an email, then having to chase the customer then we're having to resend it internally and send it on again to the customer.

Thanks

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Invoice PDF attachment Emails direct from sage not received by customers

Post by brucedenney » 26 May 2020, 10:50

Hi

If you send via Office 365 then the email should be in the sent box. You should be able to "Edit as new" and resend it. It is possible that your clients email systems are deleting your emails or marking them as spam. This is BAD practice and they should not be doing it, they should bounce emails or accept them.

Having said that there are several things you can do to improve your chances of getting through the spam traps.

First you can use an SMTP email server that has a good reputation to send mail. Here is a link to an article about this subject.
https://sendgrid.com/blog/5-ways-check- ... eputation/

Second you can try and change the "spaminess" of your email.

You mention that if sent from other emails they go through. This could be because the client has history of a back and forth communications using that email and as a result it is seen as a more whitelisted email address. IT could also be that you have done something such as use the emails address accounts@mydomain.co.uk and a name of Accounts, these are popular scam emails and names. If you use something less obvious such as domain-accounting@mydomain.co.uk and a name of "My Domain Accounting Department" then you may improve things.

Third you can improve mail deliverability with SPF and DKIM see here for further info
https://www.sparkpost.com/blog/understa ... -and-dkim/

I hope this helps.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

sibley14
User
User
Sage Version: v2015 21 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Invoice PDF attachment Emails direct from sage not received by customers

Post by sibley14 » 26 May 2020, 11:39

Wow, thank you so much Bruce. I'll try these suggestions and feedback to you.

Really appreciate you coming back to me.

Cheers