Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

nominal code for interest received

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
Alex123
User
User
Sage Version: v2018 24 UK/Europe/Africa

nominal code for interest received

Post by Alex123 » 26 Sep 2019, 23:42

Hello,
I have to record interest on a loan made by our company to other company. I was looking for help on Sage website and I found under 'Record a loan made to another party' the following:
'7903/4910 Loan Interest Received Profit and Loss Overheads/Sales
The nominal code you use for loan interest received depends if you want the interest to appear as a sale or an overhead.'

I am confsed. Does it mean that interest received can be recorded using n/code 7903 or it is a 'typo' and I should use a revenue code 4XXX?

Thanks

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: nominal code for interest received

Post by brucedenney » 27 Sep 2019, 10:54

Well it depends...

If you are a bank then you would certainly handle interest income as a sale.

If you are a normal business and you earned some interest on your bank current account, then offsetting this against bank charges is fine.

The accounts are there to provide the people running the business with insight, if the earning of interest was a significant income then it should be in a separate sales account, if it is an inconsequential amount that offsets the costs of banking then it is fine to treat it like that and post it to bank interest/ charges.

The same things goes for many other accounting decisions, depreciation, prepayments, accruals, you need to look at things in context and ask yourself is this a material amount an important, significant sum or is it inconsequential.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Alex123
User
User
Sage Version: v2018 24 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: nominal code for interest received

Post by Alex123 » 29 Sep 2019, 16:36

Thank you