Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Is SAGE 50 using SQLSERVER ?

For some reason the powers that be in Sage have decided to us Sage 50 as a name for lots of different accounting systems and this has led to a lot of confusion.

The UK version is sold in UK Eire, Malta, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

It does get used in other parts of the world (eg China France) but it is not actively marketed.

This forum is for questions relating to the non UK versions.
linda

Is SAGE 50 using SQLSERVER ?

Post by linda » 28 Jun 2016, 13:24

Hi can I ask . Is sage 50 is using SQL SERVER database ? They give us username and password for the database but they don't tell if what database did they use for the system.

Thank you in advance.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Is SAGE 50 using SQLSERVER ?

Post by brucedenney » 28 Jun 2016, 18:26

Sage uses Structured Query Language (SQL) to talk to the database most databases do this.

SQL is a Standards based language for communicating with databases.

An SQL database in common parlance is a database where there is a separate database server, this could be any one of a number of SQL servers eg Oracle, Pervasive, MySQL or Microsofts implementation which is called Sequel or MSSQL it has deviated from the standard and it is questionable as to if it is a SQL database any more.

Why do you want to know the technology behind the product are you looking to integrate, if so you need to use the SDK.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

linda

Post by linda » 29 Jun 2016, 03:07

@brucedenney,

Thank you for the reply. Yes I know the RDMS database and SQL, I need to know how to access the database. how to use the sdk in order to access the db, where I can find that SDK tool ?.

Thank you in advance.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 30 Jun 2016, 09:37

You buy the SDK from SAGE.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

andy636
User
User
Sage Version: v2016 22 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by andy636 » 13 Jun 2018, 17:58

You can transfer the Sage data to SQL server via ODBC without that SDK - Instructions here:

http://sysadmin2programmer.com/upload-s ... -with-odbc

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 15 Jun 2018, 11:20

In all cases the ODBC drivers are READ only so you can only read that data, you can not write data back, a one way integration is not an integration.

The app using the database could read the data directly from Sage using ODBC and/or populate the SQL database itself.

Using Micro$oft Access is one way, but has downsides.

Not sure why the tables are not being dropped and recreated in Access, I guess there is a reason.

There are other ways that do not need M$Access.

I have used Outwit to extract the data to a text file.

You can then script around that to drop and add tables to any database.

I have used this principle to do simple things, for example updating products pricing/stock levels in MySQL databases for webshops, I also used it to make a product lookup file for a bar-code scanning application, which would use the barcode to lookup the Sage Product code and then "type" that.

ODBC is a very useful tool, but not a way to do an integration, just a way to read the data.

Note that the example given was for the UK version of Sage50 not the US-Peachtree or Canadian one, I am pretty sure that there are ODBC drivers for the Canadian version and the same sort of thing could be done.