Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Writing off an account/invoice/amount

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
Dumbo

Writing off an account/invoice/amount

Post by Dumbo » 08 Mar 2007, 16:06

Hi - Using Sage Line 50 (not sure of version as I am not at work at the moment).

I am having a bit of trouble writing off supplier and customer accounts. I have just started a new job where they use VAT Cash Accounting. I have tried using the help facility but keep getting an error. Here's an example:

A customer has unpaid invoices totalling £1000, from 2005. My boss has asked me to write it off. So, I created a dummy credit note for £1,000, with the reference "BADDBT" and nominal code 8100 - Bad Debt Write Offs. I used T9 for the VAT code as instructed on the "help" system. However, when I go to allocate the invoices, it says there is a mismatch with the VAT and won't let me do it. The invoices originally had a T1 vat code. (I assume that the only way to allocate it is to do a Bank - customer payment). What am I doing wrong? Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by brucedenney » 09 Mar 2007, 09:19

The issue with Cash accounting on this invoice is that the VAT has been recorded in the control account, but never paid to the VAT man.

Doing a T9 Credit leaves the VAT in the control account so a mismatch would occur.

The solution is to reverse the invoice with a credit note with the same Tax Codes and same tax amounts. You will them be able to match them off.

(You will also need to raise a T9 invoice to reverse your T9 reversal)
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Dumbo

Post by Dumbo » 09 Mar 2007, 13:38

I hadn't thought about the VAT not actually being paid yet as I am new to Cash Accounting!! Thanks very much for your help. :D