Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Sage ODBC weird password problem

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
roxandy
User
User
Sage Version: v2011 17 UK/Europe/Africa

Sage ODBC weird password problem

Post by roxandy » 15 Aug 2013, 15:22

Hi, I'm building a utility for a customer that involves taking data out of Sage 50 using Sage ODBC. The customer has a single user account on Sage 50.

Here's the strange thing. I can connect to the Sage data files with no problem using, for example, MS Access and ODBC - but it lets me connect using the username and a blank password. In fact, when I put in the correct password, it throws an error saying that the password is incorrect.

I tried creating a new user on Sage 50 too - but it will only let me create a new user with Full Access or No Access. I can't seem to edit the privileges at all.
The same thing happens with the new user - via ODBC it will only connect with a blank password.

Anyone seen this before? It's not exactly secure!

Any help appreciated.

Andy

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Sage ODBC weird password problem

Post by brucedenney » 16 Aug 2013, 09:53

I suspect you are pointing at a different data set to the user.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

roxandy
User
User

Post by roxandy » 16 Aug 2013, 10:14

Hi Bruce

Thanks for the reply.

I can add a new user in Sage 50 and my ODBC connection recognises the new user, so I don't think it's pointing at a different data set - unless I've misunderstood what you mean.

I wondered whether it was a file permissions problem but if a new user can be created I'm guessing not...

I'm stumped!

Andy

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 16 Aug 2013, 11:40

Permissions in Sage and Windows are unrelated.

Try logging into Sage using the UserName and Password and see if that works.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

roxandy
User
User

Post by roxandy » 16 Aug 2013, 12:35

Hi Bruce

Yeah, Sage lets me log in fine using the username and password, and it won't let me log in with a blank password.

But still the ODBC connector lets me connect to the data using only the username.

weird....

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 16 Aug 2013, 13:08

Is this the same data?

Are you SURE?

Try adding something to the data and then seeing if it appears in ODBC.

How are you connecting? If using a DSN then you can save the username and password in the DSN so it might be using the saved username/password.

What is the DSN / VBA you are using to connect?

roxandy
User
User

Post by roxandy » 16 Aug 2013, 13:42

Hi Bruce

I'm viewing Sage's audit trail in Access and I can see all the transactions that have been added today so I'm positive it's the correct data.

I did wonder about the DSN cached passwords too.
So I created a new user in Sage and created a new DSN on my PC from scratch and never typed the password in once. It still let me see all the data.

The ODBC driver I'm using is :
Sage Line 50 v17
v.2.00.00.1112
Sage (UK) Limited
S17DBC32.DLL
07/07/2010

The driver looks a bit old but surely it still shouldn't let me in!

leyburnsolutions
User
User
Sage Version: v2014 20 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by leyburnsolutions » 16 Aug 2013, 18:14

I have a vague recollection of this being a bug with the ODBC driver, there has certainly been at least one version of it that exhibited this behaviour...

John

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 19 Aug 2013, 09:44

The version I have is 2.0.0.1115 I suggest that we eliminate any potential issues and you upgrade your system to the latest code.

details on how to do that are here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49

roxandy
User
User

Post by roxandy » 27 Aug 2013, 08:26

Hi Bruce
Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a week.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a go today and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers!

Andy

leejayd
User
User
Sage Version: v2013 19 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by leejayd » 30 Aug 2013, 09:04

Hi,

I've having problems connecting to the Sage via ODBC. We have Sage 50 Payroll 19. I keep getting asked for a password.

I had a look at the secure.mdw file and there are usernames such as Reader, Developer but the passwords are encrypted.

Any chance of providing a little more info on how you managed to connect?

roxandy
User
User

Post by roxandy » 30 Aug 2013, 09:25

Bruce -
Still waiting for an opportunity to upgrade the dll - will keep you posted.

leejayd -
You should just be able to use your username and password as you would if you were logging into the Sage application.

leejayd
User
User

Post by leejayd » 30 Aug 2013, 10:31

The username/pass in the application doesn't work.

I need to use one of the usernames present in the Access workgroup file otherwise my query against the MDB will fail.

Usernames I see are :

Creator, Developer, Engine, Payroll, Reader, Sage.

I'll try giving Sage a call to get the password but I have a feeling they won't give me it.

roxandy
User
User

Post by roxandy » 30 Aug 2013, 10:59

So how do you normally log in to use Sage then? Have you forgotten your password or something?

leejayd
User
User

Post by leejayd » 30 Aug 2013, 11:17

I'm not using the SAGE app to run a report. I'm connecting to the MDB file that holds our data. This MDB file is protected by a MDW access workgroup file. Within this workgroup file there are internal usernames that I'm assuming resellers use. I asked Sage for the password but they wouldn't give me it as I'm not an approved agent.