Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Description Field not long enough

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
Piston Broke
User
User
Sage Version: v2009 15 UK/Europe/Africa

Description Field not long enough

Post by Piston Broke » 14 Oct 2011, 11:05

Hi
Our product description is quite long, we sell vehicle accessories and the description always has the vehicle model in and sometimes I run out of characters in the description fields. As all products are in vehicle model catagories I thought of printing the catagory then I would free up space in the description by removing the model from the description.

Now the problem I can get the catagory to print on invoices and delivery notes but them I am unable to print M,s1,s2 Etc as soon as I remove the catagory M,S1,S2 etc start printing again. If there is another more approprate field to use in the stock record let me know as I have tried Com code description but that has the same effect. I am putting the catagory text box in item Footer 3

This Invoice is a modified version of the standard A4 invoice so it has our logo on and diferent font sizes and positions

I noticed in report designer fields comment_1 and comment_2 Where does sage pick them up from as they might work but cant see a comment field in product record only when I go in to the record from a invoice line which would mean typing it out every time

Any help Greatfully recieved

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Description Field not long enough

Post by brucedenney » 14 Oct 2011, 13:13

Lots of options...

You can use the web description/details.

I suspect that your issue is actually the join you have made between the invoice item table and the stock table, this needs to be a parent outer, this way if there is no corresponding stock record eg M S1,S2 etc then it will still return data, but nothing for the field in the stock table. rather than returning no data at all.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Piston Broke
User
User

Post by Piston Broke » 14 Oct 2011, 15:11

Hi
I tried using web description/details but same thing happened. Joins are the something I've never had to adjust so if you can tell me if this is right
In the report I go to Data>Joins this shows a join between table invoice_item and stock and the join is inner do I just change this to parent outer or create a new join and between which lines on the table

I am trying to us the stock_cat_name as these are already set up and if I use another field I'll have to set up that field for all my items

Cheers

Piston Broke
User
User

Post by Piston Broke » 14 Oct 2011, 15:22

No Problem Now I've sorted it

I had looked at your advice on another thread and had changed include records with no transactions to true then when you told me to change the join to parent outer it didn't work but changing the include records back to false brought up the Message line as I wanted it

Thanks you have been a great help

Alain

Now to try fixing this dual monitor issue it's driving me up the wall