Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Drill downs on statement to access corresponding Invoice

Report design issues and solutions.
gazmoz17
User
User
Sage Version: v2018 24 UK/Europe/Africa

Drill downs on statement to access corresponding Invoice

Post by gazmoz17 » 19 Mar 2024, 13:33

Hi,

Im new to drill downs but recently managed to parse the Delivery Postcode and a delivery tracking number (we insert into sage analysis 2 every day) to create a live tracking link. I've included these links to a dropshipping customer, we send him a daily statement with these links (alonside itemised inv bals) so he can track himself when out for delivery with courier the following day. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone ( he knows whats due plus he can track indiv orders)

Is it possible to do something similar with invoice copies.

Requirement:

Normal statement of itemised invoice numbers and running total. But a drill down on each inv no. line which will open a pdf of said inv.
When we send Statements we get tedious invocie copy requests, so should reduce that.

We dont save invoice pdf copies down anywhere. Maybe with outlook VBA once Invocies are sent every day via email I could with VBA extract the pdf attachment automatically and save it to a local folder. Save it with the same filename which is in current report designer settings.

So file path would be something like the below:

C:\Users\Gazpcnew\Documents\Invoice copies\Joe Bloggs Ltd - Invoice No. 18482 - 06.01.2022.pdf

Then could write the drill down expression for each indiv inv copy.

BUT:

External users wont be able to access that file path/hyperlink will they as its internal to my pc. How do I saved pdfs as an external link that can be accessed by someone else?

Any help much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Gareth

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Drill downs on statement to access corresponding Invoice

Post by brucedenney » 19 Mar 2024, 15:18

The way I have done this in the past was with the help of a web developer.

I set up the invoices so when they were emailed a copy got sent to the website and put on the webserver.

I could then create a link to open the web page with the pdf.

There are issues with this, there is no security unless you want to implement it on the web side of things.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

gazmoz17
User
User
Sage Version: v2018 24 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by gazmoz17 » 21 Mar 2024, 10:55

Hi, thanks Bruce.

Yeah thought this was maybe beyond me I didnt know if was possible to make a dyamic external link, I'm guessing thats what the web developer is...there hosting the invs?

Whats the security issue?... the fact anyone can access the invoice if they have the link "www.hostwebsiteurl..joebloggsltd.Invno.20178.21.03.24"

And that links in the inv template from a drill down expression?

Thanks
Gareth

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by brucedenney » 28 Mar 2024, 12:57

Yes anyone with the url can see it.

You can take steps to obfuscate it, but it is a poor solution.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.