Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Reducing Back size - non data files

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
Klerky
User
User
Sage Version: v2010 16 UK/Europe/Africa

Reducing Back size - non data files

Post by Klerky » 13 Feb 2023, 18:41

Hi,

I have:
Sage 50 Accounts Professional 2010
Version 16.0.4.113

Depending on what printer you have (I have a simple A4 Laser), many of the 'non' data files never get used (Report Files and Layout Templates), for even a small co. a backup is usually about 85mb if you include everything, data only files are approx 4-5mb, so considering you only use a small percentage of the layout/template files, a waste of disk space when you have a number of Co's to do a Full back up of (you often have bespoke layouts in amongst the tree of layouts), and a longer wait at backup time.

Is there a Utility Sage possibly created to help 'weed' out unused layout/template files for say a printer you are never likely to own, such as a continous stationary printer.

Any thoughts appreciated.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Reducing Back size - non data files

Post by brucedenney » 14 Feb 2023, 12:11

The only reason to do this is to free up disk space.

Assuming you have a policy of keeping a range of backups, then you would probably have 1 backup for each year end for the last 7 years, one for each month of the current year and 1 for each working day for the last 25 days or so 7+12+25 = 44 each backup being 300Mb larger than needed so a total waste of 13.200 Gb of disk space.

If you buy a new super fast 500G Crucial MX500 solid state disk drive, it will cost you £30 (£26.14 ex vat) and dramatically improve performance.
https://uk.crucial.com/products/ssd/sata-ssds

This gives a cost saving of 13.2G of disk space which is £0.79

It is simply not worth the time and trouble to remove the files to save the pennies. Upgrade to a bigger faster disk.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Klerky
User
User

Post by Klerky » 14 Feb 2023, 18:25

Thank you for your comments, just wondered if their was some magic clean up tool, I will continue as was, and USB sticks filed with each years accounts papers, and 79p less for the Christmas Card list.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by brucedenney » 15 Feb 2023, 10:47

USB sticks are not as good a choice as an online backup product such as one drive, dropbox or google drive. USB sticks can fail, be lost, be left on site and burned in the fire and a whole raft of other potential failure modes.

Belt and Braces is the way to go.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Klerky
User
User

Post by Klerky » 20 Feb 2023, 09:51

Agree :) yes USB's can be a bit unreliable, a copy is on Dropbox ... the USB Sticks (2x duplicates, one for each year) are in a Fire Proof bag, in a 17 lever German made safe, bolted to a 300mm thick wall with M12 bolts, bolt heads recessed into masonry and rendered over, 8 meters above the ground ...

However, I'm sure Dropbox's Ai is taking a good look through everything, but what they will do with what they find is anyones guess ...