Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Sage line 50 - User is already logged in error

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
Outgrownline50
User
User
Sage Version: v2012 18 UK/Europe/Africa

Sage line 50 - User is already logged in error

Post by Outgrownline50 » 17 Nov 2022, 14:04

Hello,

Bit of basic info to give you an idea of the current setup: We have an RDS server with roughly 20-30 users logged in at any one time.
Sage version is: 18.1.0.20

This setup has worked well for us for a year or so now - but last Friday we started getting calls from users saying they're receiving an error message (after a period of inactivity that disconnects their remote desktop session) when they try to login along the lines of "The user you entered is already logged in." This error isnt unusual, but there is usually the option to close the session and login anyway. But this no longer appears to an option.

Not a huge issue as we just login as an admin and remove the user out of the queue and then they can login again - but the users used to be able to do this themselves by clicking the close existing session button on login.

Just wondering why it's suddenly changed to not allowing a user to close the existing session as it's requiring a lot more manual intervention from the IT team?

Cheers,

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Sage line 50 - User is already logged in error

Post by brucedenney » 17 Nov 2022, 14:15

I don't recognise the issue, version 18 hasn't had any updates in years.

Users should log out before they close their session, this will avoid the issue.

Clearing users whilst in use is one of the main causes of data corruption, you really want to avoid this at all costs.

The users should be fine if they are disconnected, the issue seems to be that they are not only being disconnected, the session is being terminated, if the session was still live when they reconnected all would be fine, they would still be logged in.

I suspect this is something to do with the way windows users are handled when they are disconnected.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Outgrownline50
User
User
Sage Version: v2012 18 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by Outgrownline50 » 17 Nov 2022, 14:19

I don't disagree with any of your points, was more curious if we'd suddenly hit a "user limit" if there is such a thing in sage line 50 as the timeout settings etc haven't been touched for a year.

I did think about sending an email about how to log out properly but I fear I may be overestimating my users by doing that.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by brucedenney » 17 Nov 2022, 14:24

When users disconnect, they should be able to reconnect and be on the same desktop still logged in to sage.

It sounds to me like users are being disconnected and when they return they find their session has gone and they are in a new session.

There are times when the server will reboot overnight for patches etc, in which case we would see user sessions lost and users when returning would need to log in to sage and would find usernames still in use.

It just appears this behaviour is happening all the time, not just once in a while.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.