Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Packing list

Report design issues and solutions.
sharp629
User
User
Sage Version: Other

Packing list

Post by sharp629 » 17 Jan 2022, 11:57

Hello,

I'm trying to create a packing list layout, but I'm having issues with BOM's. I can get it to show the correct BOM of a product, but when I change the quantity, it's only showing the amount to make 1. (We'd like it to show all the required components to make up said quantity of products)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Packing list

Post by brucedenney » 17 Jan 2022, 12:29

Hi

Sorry, we are having issues with our security certificate installation.

Please can you attach the layout to your post.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

sharp629
User
User

Post by sharp629 » 17 Jan 2022, 12:33

brucedenney wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 12:29 Hi

Sorry, we are having issues with our security certificate installation.

Please can you attach the layout to your post.
Thank you, See attached
Login to access the files attached to this post.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 17 Jan 2022, 12:56

You need to multiply the component qty on the BOM by the qty ordered on the parent product to get the number of components required.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

sharp629
User
User

Post by sharp629 » 17 Jan 2022, 13:33

brucedenney wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 12:56 You need to multiply the component qty on the BOM by the qty ordered on the parent product to get the number of components required.
Thanks Bruce

I've got that part working now. Are you able to create a subcomponent of a subcomponent or am I making things too complicated?

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 18 Jan 2022, 11:03

Well yes, but you need to do it a different way!

sharp629
User
User

Post by sharp629 » 19 Jan 2022, 08:00

brucedenney wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 11:03 Well yes, but you need to do it a different way!
Would you be able to put me on the right path of where I should be looking? (I fully understand you don't do this sort of thing for free, I appreciate all the help you give.)

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

An expanded bom of an expanded bom

Post by brucedenney » 19 Jan 2022, 12:19

You currently have a section for each BOM component and a filter to hide it if empty. This is an old way of doing things from back when sage only had 10 BOM components available. Rather than doing that we now have a new pseudo table called STOCK_COMP which we can use to make it more simple.

STOCK_COMP does not exist in older versions of Sage50, you don't say which version you are on but I am assuming it is recentish.

You link STOCK.STOCK_CODE to the STOCK_COMP.ASSEMBLY_CODE This now returns all the STOCK_COMP.COMPONENT_CODE for that assembly code.

You add in the STOCK table a second time and link it to the STOCK_COMP.COMPONENT_CODE You give this second copy of stock an alias eg BOMSTOCK.

You can now add a single repeating section underneath the INVOICE_ITEM section for the BOMSTOCK

That one section can now print BOMSTOCK.STOCKCODE, BOMESTOCK.DESCRITION and INVOICE_ITEM.QUANTITY*STOCK_COMP.COMPONENT_QTY

This is a neater way to things because one repeating section will work for as many BOM items as the BOM has, you don't need sections for each component. The layout you had only covers the first 10 BOM items, the rest 11 to 50 just get ignored. This all dates back to when there were only 10 BOM components available.

If you take a look at the report "Product Explosion" in the "Product explosion and BOM" section of Product Reports that shows how it is structured.

That is the first bit, the new way of doing a BOM explosion.

To do BOMS within BOMS you just extend this principle.

You link in a second copy of the STOCK_COMP table aliased as BOMSTOCK_COMP this is joined to the BOMSTOCK.STOCKCODE BOMSTOCK_COMP.COMPONENT_CODE can then be linked to a third copy of the STOCK table alias BOMBOMSTOCK

You add a section for the BOMBOMSTOCK

That one section will now print BOMBOMSTOCK.STOCKCODE, BOMBOMSTOCK.DESCRITION and INVOICE_ITEM.QUANTITY*STOCK_COMP.COMPONENT_QTY*BOMSTOCK_COMP.COMPONENT_QTY.

NOTES:

All the links will need to be parent/child links as only STOCK_CODE with BOMS will have an associate STOCK_COMP record.

I would approach it in a very methodical step by step approach, because there are lots of potential points of failure and you need to take some time and more than a bit of getting your head around things.

Get it working as a BOM explosion, before you try exploding BOMS within BOMS.

Technically you can repeat this multiple times so you could expand, BOMs within BOMS within BOMS within BOMS each one level of explosion would need one group section and the addition of the STOCK_COMP and STOCK table in the joins.

I hope this helps.