Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Moved Sage line 50 from Windows server 2008 R2 to Windows server 2019 - performance issues

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
Outgrownline50
User
User
Sage Version: v2012 18 UK/Europe/Africa

Moved Sage line 50 from Windows server 2008 R2 to Windows server 2019 - performance issues

Post by Outgrownline50 » 29 Oct 2021, 09:11

Hey guys,

Can I just say first off thanks so much for this forum - I thought I was a lone sysadmin struggling to keep Sage line 50 alive but good to know there are others out there!

We run a very outdated version of Sage line 50, Version number 18.1.0.20 that's installed on a remote desktop server so our users all access the files locally. The server specs now are:

Microsoft Windows Server 2019
Intel Xeon Silver 4208 CPU @ 2.10GHz
32GB RAM
Network Speed 4,294.97Mpbs (as quoted by the about section in Sage)

We recently moved our Sagedata folder over to this new server as Outlook 2010 became unsupported by microsoft so our 2008R2 server where it was running became more and more of a problem.

Now all our users are working on it fine - the main logjams happen when someone from our logistics department is invoicing which seems to lock up sage if there are a high number of users on it. But the main issue I'm seeing is the sage maintenance check which we do everyday is now taking twice as long as it used to. This confuses me as the underlying hardware is so much faster, the read/write speeds and general using of the new remote desktop is so much faster, but when it comes to the maintenance check, it's taking twice as long.

I've turned off Windows firewall/listed all the anti virus exclusions and all the settings are the same as they were on the old 2008 R2 I just cant fathom why the maintenance check would be taking twice as long.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Moved Sage line 50 from Windows server 2008 R2 to Windows server 2019 - performance issues

Post by brucedenney » 29 Oct 2021, 10:09

What was the spec of the old server?

Sage is a single threaded 32bit application so clock speed is more important than the number of cores.

16 Cores running at 2.1Ghz will be a lot slower than a 2 core processor running at 3.9Ghz

Have you checked the extra documentation for terminal server / citrix?

https://gb-kb.sage.com/portal/app/portl ... 7112208922
https://gb-kb.sage.com/portal/app/portl ... 7112237211
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Outgrownline50
User
User

Re: Moved Sage line 50 from Windows server 2008 R2 to Windows server 2019 - performance issues

Post by Outgrownline50 » 29 Oct 2021, 10:20

Hi Bruce,

Appreciate the quick reply.

The old 2008 R2 server had the same RAM, and same processor (They are both VM's) just a different OS.

The only difference I can see is that the 2008 R2 server had 2 vCPU's with 4 cores per vCPU while the new 2019 server has 4 vCPU's but 1 core per vCPU.

The reason that was designed like that was the external IT company who created the server said that was the recommended setup for a RDS server. I have checked the documentation and the install of Sage went fine, it's purely the sage maintenance side of things which seems a lot slower.

Outgrownline50
User
User

Post by Outgrownline50 » 31 Oct 2021, 10:23

Just an update, I copied the exact same vCPU setup as the previous 2008 R2 server and the maintenance check still takes 20 minutes. As far as I can tell everything is exactly the same permissions/file locations etc, and sage itself even works fine for our users, but the daily maintenance check taking 20 minutes is our only problem.

Are there any registry fixes or anything to speed up the data check?

Outgrownline50
User
User

Post by Outgrownline50 » 01 Nov 2021, 13:21

Hi Bruce,

Apologies for the replies, but I think I may have narrowed down the issue. Our sage is "locking up" every time we try bank reconciliation, ending the SBDDesktop.exe frees sage up, and then when we go back in it looks like the bank reconciliation worked and the data check is coming back fine.

So it looks like whatever's happening is something's wrong when the bank reconciliation gets to the end of its process and it just stays on processing...

Any ideas? Thanks! I've installed adobe on both servers as the default .pdf program, the only difference being our 2008 server was 32 bit, while on our new server it's 64 bit.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 15 Nov 2021, 11:44

Are you able to print reports without issues?
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 15 Nov 2021, 11:46

Has the bank reconciliation been reconciled or has it lots of transaction at the bottom of the screen waiting?

Outgrownline50
User
User

Post by Outgrownline50 » 18 Nov 2021, 13:27

Hi Bruce,

The bank reconciliation would complete every time but would freeze when it came to producing the report at the end, we've unticked the "Produce a PDF on bank reconciliation" part for now and it's working fine, I suspect it's to do with not having a SagePDF printer installed but I fear going down that rabbit hole will affect our already fragile line 50 anyway.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 18 Nov 2021, 13:46

It sounds to me like reports are not working properly.
You did not say if you have report issues.
Are you able to create reports and save them to pdf's using the report designer?

The report it generates is the reconciliation report, which is very useful and not something you want to be skipping.

I wonder if you are missing updates, what is the full version number from help>about?

Outgrownline50
User
User

Post by Outgrownline50 » 19 Nov 2021, 14:03

Other reports work fine but all our users print them off, I don't think anyone actually saves them as a .PDF.

Our reports designer is version 1.3.2011.25 which is the same as the version it used to be on our 2008 server which could do the bank reconciliation report fine. I have seen that there is version .30 but we are hesitant to install this as we fear it may break all our custom layouts/reports.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 19 Nov 2021, 14:56

Could you try saving one as a PDF?

Outgrownline50
User
User

Post by Outgrownline50 » 24 Nov 2021, 09:52

Yeah no good it freezes again.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 24 Nov 2021, 12:00

I think that confirms that the issue is the creation of PDF's.

If you fix the general report writer issue then you will fix the specific bankrec issue.

The way to fix the report designer issue is to uninstall and reinstall.

You need to be sure that ,net 3.5 is installed/enabled on the operating system before you start, similarly if you are using the integration with Microsoft Office then that wants to be installed first too.

If a normal reinstall does not work, then you need to do the clean reinstall outlined here.
http://www.makingithappen.co.uk/sage-50 ... nstall.htm

If you need updates/service pack for your version they are available here.
http://www.makingithappen.co.uk/sage-su ... e-pack.htm