Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Sage 50 - Global Nominal Code default?

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
sageNoob
User
User
Sage Version: v2015 21 UK/Europe/Africa

Sage 50 - Global Nominal Code default?

Post by sageNoob » 02 Mar 2021, 16:22

Sage UK - version 25.1.128.0

Hi, is there any way to set a default value for the global nominal code section in an invoice/credit note?

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Sage 50 - Global Nominal Code default?

Post by brucedenney » 03 Mar 2021, 08:10

No, by default it is not used.

I could write something to put one on it, but it would be an "after creation" action which you would need to do before updating the ledgers.

I assume you have a performance issue and are trying to reduce the size of the database.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

sageNoob
User
User
Sage Version: v2015 21 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by sageNoob » 05 Mar 2021, 16:24

brucedenney wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 08:10 No, by default it is not used.

I could write something to put one on it, but it would be an "after creation" action which you would need to do before updating the ledgers.

I assume you have a performance issue and are trying to reduce the size of the database.
Oh I didn't know that the global nominal code saves space on the database. I know it creates issues on our reports when it is missing.

Regarding the 'after creation' action I don't think it's much of a use because I already manually check the invoices for missing global codes. The only ones I miss are the ones already updated to ledger by someone else, before I can manually find it. It would need to be a 'pre' or default thing. Thanks anyway.

SomeGuy
User
User
Sage Version: Other

Post by SomeGuy » 08 Mar 2021, 07:03

sageNoob wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 16:24 Oh I didn't know that the global nominal code saves space on the database. I know it creates issues on our reports when it is missing.
Using a global nominal or not makes no difference to the space used in the database.

There's no way to set a default global nominal within the software (thanks for another glaring omission Sage!). This means your only options would a post-creation utility as per Bruce's suggestion, or to adapt your reports to assume a default nominal code if one has not been set. Neither of them are stellar options.

If you are on a reasonably up to date version of Sage then you could add an alert to all customer records to remind that a global nominal should be set but that's probably not a particularly great option either.

SG

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by brucedenney » 08 Mar 2021, 12:57

Using the global nominal code does make a difference to the space used.

Instead of one split per line on the invoice, you get one split per invoices, this will massively reduce the number of splits and so reduce the size of the database as there will be fewer usages as well. The only time it would make no difference is on a single line invoice.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

SomeGuy
User
User
Sage Version: Other

Post by SomeGuy » 09 Mar 2021, 06:48

Ah, you mean when actually posting the invoice. I meant with the invoice artefact itself.