Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Purchase order - supplier details

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
Hasslebrass
User
User
Sage Version: v2017 23 UK/Europe/Africa

Purchase order - supplier details

Post by Hasslebrass » 08 Feb 2019, 09:42

Hi, Im very new to sage,so im sorry if its a basic question, I wonder if anybody can provide any clues, -- when I generate a purchase order for a supplier I need to bring over to the purchase order screen the details how that supplier is paid, i.e do I pay that supplier by BACs or by cheque. and to be able to amend the payment details to that particular purchase order - without most importantly effecting the original supplier payment details in the supplier defaults , I have worked out that there are custom fields on the supplier information, would it be possible to edit/use those as a base to bring over the payment details. (Im currently using quickbooks and if anybody has any experience with it, this can be achieved using the customise layout options).Im open to and ideas and any suggestions would be very welcome, ive hit a brick wall on this one , many thanks.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Purchase order - supplier details

Post by brucedenney » 08 Feb 2019, 11:10

So you have a supplier that you pay different ways?

You don't pay them in advance you have a credit account.

Their Supplier account will have a mixture of items, some you will pay by BACS and some you will pay by Credit card and so forth?
this would be really painful, you wouldn't know which transactions get paid which way when you do your payment run. Conceptually one could write a report that would link back to the PO, work out the payment method from that and tell you, but it is clunky and not a great workaround.

The simple solution is to create 2 accounts for the supplier on for BACS and one for Card payments and use the corresponding account for the transaction.

This way you always use whatever the default is for the supplier. You can go to the account and pay all the invoices with a credit card or all with a BACS transfer depending on which account they are on.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Hasslebrass
User
User

Post by Hasslebrass » 08 Feb 2019, 12:24

Thanks for the reply Bruce, I see what your saying but my business is very unusual, recycling, I buy a lot of different things from many suppliers ( these are my everyday "customers" in a real world), then I sell the single items in bulk - to a small amount of different companies. I use the purchase order option to provide a receipt for goods bought from my "suppliers" and the the payment is made to them either by Bacs same day or Cheque - there are no terms or credit accounts so payment is considered to be instant, If I just paid everyone by Bacs (not an option) there would not be a problem, the cheques are causing the problem as I need to know at the point of me buying how the customer( supplier) is usually paid (its a quick way to log if I have the customers bank details) and if its by cheque (no bank details) I need to make a record of the cheque number on the purchase order (the cheque payment is given to the customer at the point of buying), I could make a note of payment method in the supplier (customer) data but I dont want to have to jump out of purchase order to supplier info and then back to the purchase order as the supplier is usually waiting for a purchase receipt and I could have a que of suppliers (customers) so its all about the time it takes as well. I hope it all makes sense, maybe I should not be using the purchase order option at all, is there another way of going around it that you think I should look at. Thanks again..

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 08 Feb 2019, 13:02

I am not understanding.

In the original post you said you wanted to have a mix of payments on the one supplier account.

Now you seem to be saying you want to know how to pay this supplier, which infers you are always paying the supplier the same way.

If you want to have a note on the supplier account that tells you something (eg how they get paid), I would put it in one of the fields that get copied from the account to the PO when it is created eg contact name or address 5 then when you have it on the screen you can see the note. You would also need to alter the layout so the note was not printed...

You could also do a code appended to the name eg * at the end of the name means Cash a # means Cheque and a + means BACS

I am not sure I am understanding the issue.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Hasslebrass
User
User

Post by Hasslebrass » 08 Feb 2019, 14:28

Its not straight forward I agree, a single supplier (which may be a member of the public or tradesman) may want either a bacs or a cheque at any one time , if he is normally paid by bacs ( i have his bank details) - he may want payment by cheque on this occasion instead, it depends on his own bank account status at the time ( overdrawn ?) and where he goes to cash the cheque, (not always at a bank). If he is normally paid by cheque it means I don't have his bank details for what ever reason. I looked at adding a note in the address line to show the normal payment method , it would actually be beneficial for the print to show the payment method as well, (with a simple note on the actual PO if paid different from his normal method, ie cheque number, which just applies to that particular PO) that would work ok, but as im currently in the process of swapping over to sage that would mean editing over 5k existing suppliers, which would be a bit of a problem. Its a bit of a tricky one. Thanks for your help anyway

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 11 Feb 2019, 10:48

You could import them all, so it would not take long, (as long as you have the original data out of your old system).