Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Data Service Manager

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
jdcsmurfted
User
User
Sage Version: v2018 24 UK/Europe/Africa

Data Service Manager

Post by jdcsmurfted » 11 Jul 2018, 13:20

Hi Everyone,

I work in a small office and we use Sage for two companies that operate from the office. In the last few months Sage has been unworkable, crashing running very slow etc. After some sage support it looks like it could be a network problem, which I agree with as the host PC (PCFOUR) is sometimes unavailable on the network list. So we've now moved the data onto my computer and changed the directory addresses for everyone. I also have amended the Sage Data Service so it connects to the server address they gave me and the other computers to look here. But everytime I x the box it disconnects the data service - is this supposed to happen, I expected to be able to leave it running in the background?

thanks in advance for your advice

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Data Service Manager

Post by brucedenney » 11 Jul 2018, 14:00

You should not need to amend the Sage Data service, it determines where the DataService is from the UNC pathname you provide it when you set up the workstations.

"everytime I x the box it disconnects the data service" ??? What do you mean when you say you X the box? What box?

The data service should be running in background, if you run services.msc (from the run prompt) you should see it running there.

As long as the PC that is acting as the server for the sage data is switched on, even if you are logged off, the data service should be running in background and all other users should be able to access Sage.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

jdcsmurfted
User
User
Sage Version: v2018 24 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by jdcsmurfted » 12 Jul 2018, 08:25

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the reply, the x in the top right hand corner, when I close the box down. When I open it again it shows disconnected and I have to click connect again. Although when I just looked at services it did show it running.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by brucedenney » 16 Jul 2018, 10:27

The X in the top right box of what application?

Are you saying when you close Sage the service stops working?

Can you do a screenshot?
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.