Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Dump files

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
Geoff_S
User
User
Sage Version: v2018 24 UK/Europe/Africa

Dump files

Post by Geoff_S » 23 Jun 2018, 06:55

Since upgrading to ver 24 we have noticed files being created each day in the root of “C” drive named as follows

sg50svc crashdump 23-Jun-2018 06-16-25.dmp

Is this an indication of a problem ?

Have just built a new PC and after installing Sage am seeing these files appearing even though this machine is freestanding and not connected to the network

Any thoughts please

Thanks

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Dump files

Post by brucedenney » 25 Jun 2018, 15:18

Perhaps there is an issue.

can you attach to a post?

Is this a single user installation?
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 02 Jul 2018, 20:09

Hello Bruce

This is a network installation data service only on server - program installed on 10 PC’s and the dump files seem to be appearing on all machines.

Will try and grab one of the files and attach it
Last edited by Geoff_S on 03 Jul 2018, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 02 Jul 2018, 20:22

Hope you can see the attached Bruce

Just noticed the attachement I added earlier is an empty file here is a different one
sg50svc crashdump 02-jul-2018 13-04-57.zip
Login to access the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Geoff_S on 03 Jul 2018, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 03 Jul 2018, 10:23

As a general rule, there is little point in using the data service on the server.

I would un-install it and install the full product, t his makes it much easier to diagnose any issues and provides you with a really fast user experiance which is optimal for doing year ends/ large reports/ backups etc.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 03 Jul 2018, 10:29

The dump file is empty!

I am thinking perhaps this is a temporary file and the user does not have delete rights but does have create rights to the root of C: so the file can't be deleted? Typically the root of C: is not writeable to users.

Do you have non standard access rights set up to the root of C: ?

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 03 Jul 2018, 10:31

Thanks, but following issues we had experienced a while ago we were told that we should only install the data service on the server. Have had no issues since then other than these dmp files which only seem to have started appearing after the upgrade to v24

Would prefer to leave the server as it is but would like to get to the bottom of the problem with these files being created - have just edited my earlier post and added a different file as the other one was empty

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 03 Jul 2018, 10:35

As far as I am aware the access rights are standard

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 03 Jul 2018, 10:37

When the machines are not being used - out if office hours will check if I can delete as local user but believe actually that the local users are members of the Administrator group

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 03 Jul 2018, 10:40

The new dump file says it is an access rights issue reading/writing to a virtual address.

This indicates and access rights issue.

I would check access right as per sage article below.

http://askbp.sage.co.uk/scripts/bpasksa ... aqid=16793

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 03 Jul 2018, 10:44

Thank you very much - unanle check right now but as said I believe the local user does have admin rights

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 03 Jul 2018, 10:50

Whomever told you "should only install the data service on the server." was correct, the data service should never be installed on a workstation only on a server.

However, that does not mean that it should be used on the server, just that it should not be used on a workstation.

I can not think of a reason why one would want to use the data service on it's own. The full product installs the data service as part of the install so all you are doing is omitting part of the product to save a small amount of disk space by installing the data service on it's own.

There is no need to change your configuration, having just the data service on the server is theoretically fine, it just prevents you from being able to do things like year ends without having to shift large amounts of data over a network.

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 03 Jul 2018, 10:58

Thanks again, will check / change access rights on one of the pc’s tonight and check again tomorrow night as to whether or not the dmp files are still being created.

Will post findings later in the week

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 04 Jul 2018, 13:16

Hi thanks for your advice so far.

Decided to build a test machine ( stand alone - not connected to LAN) and install a fresh copy of Sage - on this machine I am logging on to the built in Administrator Account and running Sage from there - the dmp files are being produced on this machine as well so really can’t see how it can be access rights related.

Sage have just told me “These files are generated when the program crashes” which it isn’t !

Just checked on three of the client PC’s and the date that these files started to appear was 10th January 2018 - that was the date we upgraded from v22 to v24 !

Latest from Sage states as follows.

Do you know if you have the schedule backup manager turned on in the program?

To check this please log into Sage 50 Accounts as Manager > File > Schedule Backup > Settings.

If this is turned on could you try turning this off for some time and let us know if the temp files are still being generated.

Any thoughts please

Regards

Geoff

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 05 Jul 2018, 09:45

There is an optional scheduled backup task you can invoke. It is known to create random files like this, but you have to explicitly go and turn it on and set the drive location of where it is to back up.

Perhaps it is partially turned on in V24 try changing the backup path in scheduled backup to a different drive and see if the dump files appear in a different location.

My other thought would be that perhaps sage is trying to phone home to SageHQ and there is a firewall issue. Is this a Subscription Licence or a Perpetual Licence?

What operating system are you using?