Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Picking List Sort

Report design issues and solutions.
scotrodg
User
User
Sage Version: v2016 22 UK/Europe/Africa

Picking List Sort

Post by scotrodg » 07 Jul 2016, 09:00

Hi All

I am trying to introduce the use of the picking list facility from Sage 50 for our warehouse team. We are moving to a "new improved" warehouse and I would like the team to do their picks by a walk route.
As our stock locations are all numerical(1111 to 9999) at the moment, I thought it would be easy to apply a sort rule to ensure that the picking list would follow those stock locations in a numerical order. For some reason I just cannot get this to work.
I have edited the standard picking list report to create my own customised report which shows the stock locations, but despite removing all other sorts and filters I cannot get this report to sort by stock location.

Any hints or tips?

Rodger

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Picking List Sort

Post by brucedenney » 07 Jul 2016, 16:49

You probably have an implicit sort created by a header, you

If you want to attach the picking list layout to a post I could probably be more specific.

The field is alpha numeric, so I would zero pad the lower numbers eg 0002 as then it will sort correctly, the alternative is to use an expression to conver the field to a number, which then causes issues when someone puts a non numeric value it.

A great way to do locations is to use co-ordinates.

Row A, Bay 6, Middle Shelf, 3rd location, Back Bin becomes - A6M3B

You want to keep everything to 1 letter/number and alternate letters and numbers to make it easy to read for humans.

If you do have to go to 2 digits then you need to pad so an alphanumeric sort will work.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

scotrodg
User
User

Post by scotrodg » 08 Jul 2016, 08:46

Hi Bruce

Looking at the results I have had during several tweaks of the sort settings the report is always sorted by the stock code. I have altered the data fields into the order we want them to appear in the page.
Our stock locations are currently a four digit numerical system (1111 to 9999) but when we move to the new premises we have already planned an alpha numeric system (A001 to J999), this may or may not help but we cannot change these locations until we physically move the stock.

scotrodg
User
User

Post by scotrodg » 08 Jul 2016, 08:47

Pick with locations 3.report
Sorry, attachment on this time.
Login to access the files attached to this post.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by brucedenney » 08 Jul 2016, 09:45

You have a STOCK.STOCK_CODE Footer with a total for the Stock code, so the report is implicitly sorted by stock code to provide you with things grouped by stock code so that you can have a total for each stock code.

It you add a STOCK.LOCATION grouped header and footer and make sure they are on the outside outside (before the Stock code header and After the Stock Code footer) then the report will be grouped by Location and then within each location grouped by stock code to give you your totals for each stock code.

The STOCK.LOCATION header and footer sections are not needed to print any totals or headers, so you can suppress printing or make them not visible.

Attached is an example
Login to access the files attached to this post.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

scotrodg
User
User

Post by scotrodg » 08 Jul 2016, 10:11

Cheers Bruce

Will have a bash and feed back to you next week.

scotrodg
User
User

Post by scotrodg » 08 Jul 2016, 11:57

Hi Bruce

After reading your advice I went back for another look (after a cup of tea). I removed the STOCK.STOCK_CODE footer all together, altered the sort's and hey presto I have the result I'm looking for.

Thanks for your valuable insight...again. Have a great weekend.

Rodger