Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

printing/export report issue

Report design issues and solutions.
flyingrobocop
User
User
Sage Version: v2014 20 UK/Europe/Africa

printing/export report issue

Post by flyingrobocop » 28 Jun 2016, 19:08

hi all,
new here so hi all,
i have sage installed on 3 pcs.
im using sage 50 2014 with multiple users on windows 7 64bit desktop pcs.
the main admin pc is upstairs. it works fine and prints and exports fine.
the 2 downstairs are struggling, when you print or export reports or invoices it hangs for ages 2min average before option to select printer or destination appears.
it doesnt happen on upstairs pc.
excel or word print fine.
changed printer with no luck .emptied print spooler, no good
installed load of diff drivers - no good
i tried admin account on both downstairs pc's and it ran with same fault
i ran all diff accounts on upstairs pc and all worked fine
the downstairs pc data files are stored on the upstairs pc on a network map.

any suggestions? i am pulling my hair out lol

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: printing/export report issue

Post by brucedenney » 30 Jun 2016, 09:37

What is the network like is it full gigabit?

When in the process does the hang happen?,
between hitting print with the report in preview and the printer dialogue
or between pressing the print button and opening the box to select the layout
or selecting the dialogue and report being generated to preview.
or somewhere else?

Does it happen with all reports and layouts do some go quicker?
If you use the demo data does it go faster?

What anti Virus is bein gused?
Have you set up the sage exclusions in your anti virus?
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

billshankley
User
User
Sage Version: v2015 21 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by billshankley » 29 Mar 2018, 11:36

Not sure if responding to an old thread is the acceptable thing here but here we go.

We have this exact issue. Super slow to get to the print dialogue for odd reports.

The Sage Report loads in an acceptable time, when you hit "print" in the preview however, expect to wait 2 or 3 minutes. This is not on all clients and we have several users, all using the same AV, all on Gigabit networks. Once the print dialogue appears printing is instant.

Interestingly, some reports on the problem client print just fine... bizarre.

The problem report is a standard out of the box sage report and it's print settings (in the Report Editor) are the same as other reports.

I have tried,
Deleting old unused printers
Repairing the installation

The issue is when hitting print in preview mode and also when hitting the print button on the shortcut bar in the report lists.

Ideas welcome

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 29 Mar 2018, 11:44

Does it work faster a second time (if you do not log off and on again).

Is the data path the same on all the machines or is the a mix of mapped drives and unc paths?

If it is some reports, perhaps it is those that used the communications addresses, with those reports the data set is huge and then filtered down, if you do not need different addresses for different documents these can be modified to not use all the extra complications and they run faster.

Can you be more specific about which reports do and do not have the issue.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

billshankley
User
User

Post by billshankley » 29 Mar 2018, 12:45

It the same performance, with report loaded in preview, hit print, 2 minutes for dialogue. Close dialogue and hit print again, 2 minutes. Log in log out, 2 minutes, click shortcut to print in report list, 2 minutes...

All data paths are set UNC

The report that causes the issue is a nominal activity report with a very small dataset, works instantly on my computer, all reports run from a centralised network location.

billshankley
User
User

Post by billshankley » 29 Mar 2018, 12:47

To also reiterate, the report loads very fast, when the print dialogue shows it prints very fast, it's the bit in between.

billshankley
User
User

Post by billshankley » 29 Mar 2018, 13:07

I removed all the networked printers from the client and started adding them in one by one and then running the report. Turns out one of our Samsung printers was the issue.

Perhaps the wrong driver version was installed on the client as it is not on the domain. should of checked before I deleted it.

I'm going to look at reinstalling the latest printer driver again and see if I can recreate the problem and will report back. 700+ views of this particular thread seems to suggest a few others have had the same problem somewhere down the line.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 29 Mar 2018, 13:19

... I wonder if it is an access rights issue, If you log on the the workstation as a domain admin and run the report does it run faster?

When you run a report there are a number of key steps where delay can happen

1/ Between pressing the button to open the window to select the report and that window appearing.
2/ Between pressing the Preview button and the Dialogue box asking for Criteria appearing
3/ Between hitting okay on the criteria and the report previewing
4/ Between hitting the print button on preview and the printer dialogue
5/ Between hitting the okay button and the printer kicking into life.

From what you have said I think it is no 4 you are getting, is that right?