Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

To avoid making supplier payment- how to post straight to nominal?

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
thrownindeepend
User
User
Sage Version: Other

To avoid making supplier payment- how to post straight to nominal?

Post by thrownindeepend » 18 Oct 2019, 18:01

Ok, I post invoices to suppliers and then make a supplier payment.

I have never used Sage before and my manager showed me how to raise the supplier invoices which I did.

He then criticised me, saying he expected better from me as I then have to make a supplier payment against the invoice. He said I should be putting it straight to the nominal (even though there are supplier accounts) to avoid this supplier payment stage but how do I do this?

If I raise a bank payment, it only asks for the nominal code? How will it be allocated to the supplier>

It is only my third day!!!

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: To avoid making supplier payment- how to post straight to nominal?

Post by brucedenney » 19 Oct 2019, 10:35

The supplier ledger is there to control the payment of invoices.

If your purchase has been already completed when you make an entry in your accounting system, you can do one of 2 shortcuts.

Shortcut 1, (what your manager suggested) is to make a bank payment direct to a nominal code. This is the most simple way to make an entry. You do not need a supplier account, you just record the expense against a nominal code.

Shortcut 2, is to enter the payment at the same time and entering the invoice. This has the advantage of extra transparency, however it has the downside that you need to make and maintain another supplier account.

You do not want to go around creating hundreds of supplier accounts during the year that each get used for one transaction and no more. This creates a volume of accounts that has no benefit, that took time to create and will take time to manage and delete.

In essence, if you have a purchase that is on credit, use a supplier account to control the payment of invoices otherwise do bank payments.

I hope this helps.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.