Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Moving Sage data files across systems onto a NAS device

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
robmar0se
User
User
Sage Version: v2018 24 UK/Europe/Africa

Moving Sage data files across systems onto a NAS device

Post by robmar0se » 20 Jan 2019, 00:49

Not as straightforward as it might seam.

The main PC (Windows 10 pro) is using a NAS Synology RAID system for all user data. Lets call this system A.

The NAS is attached to a network switch.

Unfortunately the client initially set up Sage 50 on another Windows 7 PC, and subsequently specified the Sage files as shared. Lets call this system B.

Sage was also subsequently set up on system A with data files pointing to System B

I am aware that we need to turn off the Sage service when moving files, but I found it not straightforward to shift the data files onto the Synology NAS.

I am not clear in my mind the best way of moving files onto another system, rather than just to another location on the same PC. Is there a better way than backing up and re-installing?

Do we need to remove the share on system A and then close the system and remove sharing during the transfer process? I can see Sage becoming confused if not done in the correct order /sequence, which is why I am coming round to uninstalling and re-installing

Thanks for advice............

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Moving Sage data files across systems onto a NAS device

Post by brucedenney » 21 Jan 2019, 10:25

With current version of sage 50 it is a requirement that you run the data service at the data location.

This means a windows operating system.

You can not locate the data on the Nas
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

robmar0se
User
User
Sage Version: v2018 24 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by robmar0se » 21 Jan 2019, 10:52

Thank you, thats not something I was aware of.

However it makes a mess of our backup recovery system, as we will need to treat Sage differently to everything else.

So let me change the question. I am not a great expert on Sage 50 but I am aware it does have a few idiosyncrasies

If all we do is to move the primary Sage data to System A from System B (and not use the NAS RAID), am I correct in thinking that the safest way is (i) we backup the data, (ii) uninstall Sage 50 from system A & B (ii) re install on System A as master, and B where data is pointed to shared data files on A,(iv)restore from backup. (v) then use the NAS system to store the backups?

Or is there a better way?

Thank you

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by brucedenney » 21 Jan 2019, 12:21

Use the scheduled backup facility to backup to your NAS drive or better still, back ir up to Dropbox or other online storage.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.