Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Printing invoices - second page out if alignment

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
Geoff_S
User
User
Sage Version: v2018 24 UK/Europe/Africa

Printing invoices - second page out if alignment

Post by Geoff_S » 19 Nov 2018, 14:45

Hello

We have a strange issue in that we use an Epson LQ-300+II Printer to print our invoices from Sage Accounts - the printer is physically attached to one pc and then shared so that the others on the network can see and use it. With all our Windows 7 PC’s thus works perfectly but with our two newer Windows 10 machines if it’s a multi page invoice only the first page prints correctly the others are out of alignment.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Printing invoices - second page out if alignment

Post by brucedenney » 23 Nov 2018, 14:48

I suspect it is the default paper size.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 24 Nov 2018, 22:23

Tried connecting laptop direct to the Epson printer and don’t have the same problem - checked and we are using the same layout file and the same driver for the printer - very strange !!

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 26 Nov 2018, 17:25

Is the default paper size in the driver configuration the same in both cases?

If you print pages from notepad/word do they have the same issue?

Is the laptop windows 10 or windows 7,
if 7 then not surprised it works.
if 10 then did you try printing to the printer form a W7 machine via the W10 laptop?

If the drivers are the same are you using windows 7 drivers on Windows 10 or are you saying they have the same name but are different drivers or something else?
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 27 Nov 2018, 07:49

We haven’t tried printing from either word or notepad - the laptop is Windows 10

when the Epson was connected to it - it installed drivers itself which had assumed were windows 10 drivers but when looking at the driver files in the FileRepository folder in Windows they seem to be Windows 7 drivers. I then checked the same folder on one of the Win 10 desktops which have the problem and the driver files appear to be identical to those on the laptop.

After successfully printing a two page invoice from the windows 10 laptop I shared the printer and then added the printer to one of the office win 7 machines and again printed a two page invoice successfully.

Once we have obtained a longer usb cable will connect the printer directly to the Win 10 desktop and share it - hopefully the problem will have gone away !!

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 26 Jul 2019, 11:34

Hi Bruce

We have now purchased a new Epson Dot Matrix printer LQ-59011N and we have exactly the same problem when printing to it from a windows 10 PC - do you have any thoughts to help us please ??

Thanks

Geoff
Last edited by Geoff_S on 27 Jul 2019, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 26 Jul 2019, 15:50

Hi Bruce

Having spent hours on the phone with Epson today am still unable to print multiple invoices direct without the second and subsequent pages being out of alignment but strangely when we go to Print Preview where it displays perfectly and then click print from within the preview it’s then perfect.

How strange

Any thoughts please

Geoff

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 29 Jul 2019, 09:57

There are lots of reasons why papers does not line up and work with dot matrix printers.

To try and write a single post to cover them all is impossible.

We need to narrow down the issue in Windows before we try and address the issue in Sage.

I suggest that you start as follows:-

A/ check the paper size in the printer driver is the same as the paper size in the printer.
B/ Print a 3 page document from Word using page breaks make sure the paper size in the word document is set to be the same size as that in the printer.
C/ Check the printer is lined up with a form feed before you start as some printers will align the page a little higher when you first load the paper.

Tell me how the three pages look.

Are they all printing in the same place on the page?
Is 2 further down the page than 1
is 3 further down the page than 2
is 3 on the same place as 2

If they all line up perfectly then I suspect the issue is in the driver settings in Sage.

From the preview windows, check all the settings, make sure the paper is correct size, etc.
When you print, you should get a dialogue asking if you want to save your report, you should say yes and it should them remember the settings.

If you are using the quick print button you should check which layout it is using.

P.S. There is an underlying question in my head, why use dot matrix printers? they are noisy and inflexible, you need to buy pre printed expensive stationery and they make you look like an old fashioned company stuck with 80's technology.

Laser printers and plain paper are cheap, relatively quiet, very flexible and easy to use.

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 01 Aug 2019, 06:27

Thanks Bruce

Will get into the office ASAP to try your suggestions.

Just one thing to mention is that after the successful print after the print preview we did not get a dialogue asking if we wanted to save the report ?

Unfortunately there are solid business reasons as to why they need to be able to produce 5 different coloured copies of most of the Invoices otherwise they would have changed to using a laser printer.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 01 Aug 2019, 09:14

The print preview will not prompt you to save changes unless you go to the printer / page settings and change the printer used, the margins or something else, once you do it saves the printer properties you set with the report so next time you run it it uses the same settings.

Geoff_S
User
User

Post by Geoff_S » 01 Aug 2019, 11:16

As far as I am aware they have not set a printer for the layout file they just choose whichever printer they want from the list of printers installed. Might try going down the route of having different layout files for each of the printers.

Was told this morning that they want to leave it as it is for now as at least by using print preview all pc’s including the Windows 10 ones can now print to both of the invoice printers they have.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 02 Aug 2019, 09:40

They have 2 dot matrix printers!

I would look to change the system, overcome the business need for the use of dot matrix.