Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

ODBC not showing all records in linked or imported table

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
Steve H
User
User
Sage Version: v2018 24 UK/Europe/Africa

ODBC not showing all records in linked or imported table

Post by Steve H » 15 Nov 2018, 10:38

Hi Bruce

Am using:Sage 50 v25.0.76.0 SBD Desktop Version 15.0.57.0. Software is up to date, it says no updates available when checking for updates.
on Windows 10 Home 64 bit. Access 2016.

When i try to import an odbc table from sage 50 it only imports 9 purchase_ledger(other tables affected too) records instead of 170. If i link to the same table then all records after record 9 show as #deleted.

Annoyingly it doesn't seem to do this all the time and doesn't seem to be dependant on reindexing/compacting sage, or decompiling/compacting the access database which means i can't rely on the tables being imported properly.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

Steve

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: ODBC not showing all records in linked or imported table

Post by brucedenney » 15 Nov 2018, 11:38

I think this is too difficult to debug from what you have said.

There are several potential issues and what we need to do is to narrow down the issue.

Can I ask that you try and link the same table into Excel and see if you have the same results there.

Can I ask if you are using the 64bit or 32bit odbc /ms office

Finally can you post the sql statement you are using to get the data.

As a general strategy with the Jet engine databases, I would drop the table and then recreate it from scratch, not sure what you are doing, appending records or altering existing data is not an easy route..
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Steve H
User
User

Post by Steve H » 15 Nov 2018, 12:33

Hi Bruce

Thanks for replying. In finding the information you asked for I may have discovered why it's not working properly as the DSN I was using said 32/64 under platform in the DSN window, so I created a new DSN which now says just 32 bit. Access and Excel are 32bit. The table seem to import fine into excel.

I was also using the following code to import the tables (from a table in access containing sage table names:
DoCmd.TransferDatabase acLink(or acImport), "ODBC Database", _
"ODBC;DSN=sage32bit;UID=**********;PWD=*********;LANGUAGE=us_english;" _
& "database=demo", acTable, rs!TableName, rs!TableName, False, True

I deleted the bit in red and now it seems to import and link ok (unless it's just decided to start working ok for the moment!)

I haven't got as far as any sql statements yet. I will probably just import the tables and work on them in access as sage doesn't seem to support right or left outer joins.

thanks

Steve

Steve H
User
User

Post by Steve H » 15 Nov 2018, 12:37

ps just noticed the last line of your post, I'm recreating the tables from scratch, not appending to any existing tables.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by brucedenney » 15 Nov 2018, 15:26

You may have some issues if you try importing the entire table. There are several tables that have weird memo/blob fields that do not always get converted properly. I know in at least on version there were issues with one or two fields. Try using a query and bringing in just the fields you are going to use if you still have issues.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Steve H
User
User

Post by Steve H » 15 Nov 2018, 15:48

thanks for that Bruce. so far the fields I'm using seem to importing ok, they all come in as shorttext fields.

Steve