Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Invoice

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
NewbieSageUser
User
User
Sage Version: v2013 19 UK/Europe/Africa

Invoice

Post by NewbieSageUser » 12 Oct 2018, 14:48

Hi,

My company deals with renting out rooms for meetings etc and I have a customer who would like to pay a lump sum of 6 months rental now.
He is currently up to date on all his payments.
Our accounting year goes from January to December so if he pays now for the next 6 months he would be paying for some months of 2019.
Would him paying now cause issues for the Auditors?
And if I invoice him it would be dated now but cover him for the next 6 months, can this be done or should I ask him to only pay to the end of the year?

I'm sorry if these questions seem weird but I thought I would ask here and see if anyone can help me.

Thanks!

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Invoice

Post by brucedenney » 16 Oct 2018, 13:34

The auditors will only care if the amount of the prepayment is material. If it is £1000 on a £100000 turnover then it doesn't matter.

If it does matter eg if it is £25000 out of a £50000 turnover then they will make an accrual/prepayment for it, as long as they know.

If you want to be clever, you could do a 2 month period or whatever is required to get to the end of your financial year on one invoice and then do a second invoice dated the first day of your next financial year for the rest... or better still get the periods to line up by invoicig to the end of the financial year now, then invoicing 6 months on the first day of the next year.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

billswan
User
User
Sage Version: Other

Re: Invoice

Post by billswan » 21 Oct 2018, 09:49

Hi

Further to bruce idea, it comes into play how you wish to record income in the business.

1. Invoice total 6 months and pay invoice, this then shows big increase in sales for that month. Downside of this is customer is using premises for future months and you are not showing any income for it.

2. Not sure if VAT is involved but monies received need to have VAT declared so full invoice should be posted if applicable.

3. You may need to consider balance sheet too... have you looked at ' accruals ' in nominal codes section ?

It would be best to wing an email over to auditors ( you sure you in the UK, we call them accountants..lol ) to ask how they would like it recorded.

A sage link here might help
https://my.sage.co.uk/public/help/askar ... leid=11205
Maybe forward that to auditors too.