Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

V.24 not happy with SMTP port 587

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
noseve
User
User
Sage Version: v2018 24 UK/Europe/Africa

V.24 not happy with SMTP port 587

Post by noseve » 17 Jan 2018, 10:55

Hi All - New to this board, first post. I have checked for duplicate posts, but have found none. Apologies if this has already been covered.
We have just updated 50 Accounts Essentials from v.23 to v.24. Our SAGE invoices have always been e-mailed via our own remote Postfix mail server using SSL over port 587, without any problem. This facility was last used yesterday morning before the update to v.24.
With v.24, we are no longer able to do so, receiving a 'the server and client cannot find a compatible protocol...' or similar error message (please excuse the vagueness of this - I am away from base, and have only just discovered this forum whilst on site). To overcome it, we have to 'dumb down' and use port 25, which is not ideal.
Actually - and this has just occurred to me now I write - we didn't explore the individual report options, only the email defaults, although from memory I think that this is the only area from which the port is configurable. Under v.23, at least. I shall check this upon my return, although I shouldn't think that it will be different under v.24, so shall carry on with this post.
We initially installed over the existing v.23, just to gain some local knowledge of how seamlessly the process runs, being new to SAGE in April 2017. The email issue was noticed at this point.
We then uninstalled, removed all legacy files, settings, registry keys etc, rebooted and installed v.24 afresh, as was always our intention. This time we had to add the email defaults again, naturally, with the same behavior, again as you'd expect.
Has anybody else noticed this? If so, have you found the solution yet?

Standalone SAGE 50 Accounts Essentials v.24, on Windows 10 64-bit running Sophos Anti-virus software. Postfix/Ubuntu 16.04.
Thank you to anybody who takes the time to consider this.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: V.24 not happy with SMTP port 587

Post by brucedenney » 17 Jan 2018, 14:54

Hi

I have not encountered what you describe, but...

Port 587 is often used as a work around to ISP's that intercept traffic on port 25, perhaps that should be expressed as we avoid using port 25 as best practice.

587 is not the "usual" port for SSL, typically postfix would use port 465 for SSL (smtps).
In practice, the ports can sometimes be used interchangeably as it is not uncommon to enable everything on all the ports unusual configurations are not uncommon so don't take that as gospel as to how your server is configured.

But it does make me wonder if you were NOT using SSL, even though you were using port 587.

Try using 587 without SSL
or
Try using port 465 with SSL
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

noseve
User
User

Post by noseve » 18 Jan 2018, 09:18

Hi Bruce - thanks for your reply.
Our server only accepts ports 25 & 587, as all our mail clients use STARTTLS.
The email defaults have definitely displayed 587 in the port field and the SSL box ticked for the past nine months or so, so if it hasn't been using SSL then there is something seriously wrong with it.
All was fine until v.24 flicked the switch. I had assumed that this was a common issue, and was surprised when i didn't find any queries relating to it.
Have tried all combinations of 587/465/SSL on or off (which is when you know you're struggling, trying things that shouldn't work) to no avail. We have had to configure a dedicated sage email user, with limited privileges, until we sort this out.
Later today I shall be opening up port 465 on the server to see whether it's fine with that, but really prefer it to use 587.
I shall post the answer if/when we do find it.

noseve
User
User

Post by noseve » 03 Feb 2018, 16:58

UPDATE - SSL over port 465 was working, after we opened up port 465. Not really happy to do so, though.

However - now completely sorted. We have just moved our mail server from a self-signed certificate to a free Letsencrypt certificate, which once again allows Sage to send successfully through port 587.

It appears that v.24 uses strict STARTTLS, whereas v.23 was more relaxed about things, probably accepting any certificate?

Anyway, thought I'd post this, as I always think it desrespectful to forum administrators not to post a solution after it's been found!

Thanks for your interest, Bruce.