Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Data Error

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
jimmybhui
User
User
Sage Version: v2017 23 UK/Europe/Africa

Data Error

Post by jimmybhui » 30 Mar 2017, 16:30

Hi all,

I have the following error when I carry out a data check:

"Net amount in header disagress with total net splits - [1]"

When I click on the [-] sign to expand the message it reads as follows:

"Net amount in header 8497 disagrees with total net in splits"

This particular error comes up in a list on the sage help page as having to restore to a previous backup. I checked my previous backups and the last time there was an error free backup was 15/8/2016! Is there a way around this so I don't have to spend time re-entering data going back last year?

I'm using Sage version 23.1.0.143 on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Sage data sits on a server.

I've attached a screenshot of the transaction if it helps.
Login to access the files attached to this post.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Re: Data Error

Post by brucedenney » 31 Mar 2017, 10:48

You need a data repair to fix this. :(

Your story is a poignant reminder to check data when backing up.

If you have sage support they may do it for you without additional charge.
If you need to buy or upgrade a support contract, do it through us and we will give you a discount.
We also offer data repair, which may be cheaper than sage.
http://www.makingithappen.co.uk/sage-su ... ervice.htm
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Al_Hindmarsh
User
User
Sage Version: v2012 18 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by Al_Hindmarsh » 03 Apr 2017, 08:40

Also the issue with Sage is that their Data Fix times can vary - I was quoted 3 days to fix (with us having Sagecover Extra) - we can't not run Sage for 3 days. So we used another person like Bruce who was able to do it overnight and charged a couple of £100

I then switched to a Business Partner to provide standard Sage 50 support without the "free" upgrades and Data Fixes and saved the company £1,800 a year as there was no point in paying for the service. Next time we have a data error we'll do the same thing again.

jimmybhui
User
User

Post by jimmybhui » 12 Apr 2017, 07:13

OK thank you both for your responses. Sorry for the delay in acknowledgement.

Realistically though how critical is the error? Can the program run unaffected? The transaction number relates to a deleted transaction and a re-post of the same transaction but with the net amount in the field where it should actually have been in the first place.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 12 Apr 2017, 11:07

Errors can become critical and cause you to loose everything since the last backup, they can also sometimes be benign and have limited impact, they can sometimes get cleared out at a year end and resolve themselves.

Personally I wouldn't risk continuing with damaged data, especially if my backup processes were in doubt. You need to be very careful if you get more errors then things could go nasty.

Whatever you choose to do it is worth checking the environment and seeing if there is an obvious cause and eliminating that cause so as to avoid additional data loss.

The most common issues are interrupted network communication and antivirus "fixing" what it thinks is a virus signature in your data.

You should check the performance of every workstation over the network, copying a directory containing a large number of small files such as the reports directory is a fair test, time it and check all workstations take the same amount of time. If you have laptops, make sure they don't try running sage over wifi.

Make sure you configure you antivirus exclusions for sage.

http://ask.sage.co.uk/scripts/ask.cfg/p ... aqid=12122
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

Al_Hindmarsh
User
User

Post by Al_Hindmarsh » 12 Apr 2017, 11:15

If you have a later version of Sage with the automatic backup you can set to run overnight it won't work if you have an error. It just runs the Check data then stops.

wadesnj
User
User
Sage Version: v2014 20 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by wadesnj » 12 Apr 2017, 14:14

As far as I am aware, the automatic backup routines still backup even if there is a check data error.

Al_Hindmarsh
User
User

Post by Al_Hindmarsh » 12 Apr 2017, 15:34

Depends which version you are on. Our backup stopped working because it had an error and I had to ring Sage and get the data sent off

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 13 Apr 2017, 14:36

I would NEVER trust an automated backup procedure, backup is just far to important to take chances with, you need to know the data is safe, off site and that it was checked and good.

A human doing the process may be more expensive than an automated procedure, but it would cost a lot more thousands of pounds if the data is not backed up and the fire took the building out. Sure a repair at £300 is relatively cheap, but we all undervalue our data.

Al_Hindmarsh
User
User

Post by Al_Hindmarsh » 19 Apr 2017, 14:04

Very valid point. Everyone should have off-site backups and take manual backups often.

Ging05
User
User
Sage Version: US Sage 50 Version (Peachtree)

Post by Ging05 » 07 Jul 2017, 16:23

Could someone help me please?

We use sage 50 U.K. Accounts. When running a back up of our accounts the following warning appears:

Split transaction not linked to ledgers

Looking at the transaction list there are two transactions listed but both have no data?

How can I rectify this?

Thank you for your help

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brucedenney » 11 Jul 2017, 09:04

You can not fix it, you need to go back to your last good backup and restore and redo the work, or if you do not have a backup, you can get your data repaired (by Sage or ourselves) and then re-key any missing transactions.

AndrewP
User
User

Post by AndrewP » 24 Aug 2017, 17:27

I registered here to query something completely different but wanted to add my experience as a seasoned Sage Data Repair user, well I was.

We run too much Data according to Sage especially in the older versions. Every time we updated our version invariably we would have a corruption at some point. Started 2010! Much improved since I think V20. Then out of blue we came across what sage said was a common error at the time and awaiting a hotfix to do with the password. We have full support but it was 2 days predicted repair, and no overnight (premium cost anyway) So I sent it off to them but while waiting decided to rebuild from my nearest good save. Let them carry on with the repair to see if anything historical or a critical error in the background was corrupted.

Well I got the email back and there literally 500+ of deleted invoices going back to 2013/14 just got a notepad list of the numbers they said they had to delete, with a further caveat of other stuff may have been deleted check you data and rebuild financials if necessary. They said it wasn't caused by the Password error (it was) all I did was go from one company to another. I also think it is a cheek that I pay full support but overnight is a premium.

I have had a reply in the past along the lines of the same before saying they do not know what they have deleted leaving us to try and track it down

Since the new version I save twice a day automatically and let it save in my Dropbox folder. So at worst a day max.

I would only ever use Sage Data repair if rebuilding the data was going to take 5 or more days. If you want to retain your data integrity.

For the Money Sage is a good bit of Software for the cost and to find another that does the same and more stable would be an enormous cost.

Anyway the other advice if you do use the service be persistent in trying to find out exactly what hey did to repair the date.