Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Reload Sage on New computer

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
John
User
User

Reload Sage on New computer

Post by John » 11 Apr 2006, 20:25

I have just bought a new computer and want to reload Sage profile from my old computer to the new.

I have a backup of my data.
I have my origional instaluation disc with serial # activation key & Reg No:

How can I copy the profile from my origional computer to the new without having to reload the instalation disc again.

What do I have to do?

Can you Help?

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by brucedenney » 12 Apr 2006, 09:46

What do you mean by profile?

Do you mean your shortcuts and menu/gui settings?

If that is what you want then, just install the program in the same way as you originally had, then copy the old directory contents over the new one and your individual setting should be preserved.

You don't have to copy everything, it is just the .XML file for your username in the TaskOpt directory that need to be copied.

This files can get corrupted and cause strange behaviour. Deleting it is the cure for some problems. so probably worth keeping copies of it, if your profile is important to you.

Do you mean your customised reports?

If so you can use the backup option to backup reports and restore them you the new PC or you can copy everything over a fresh install as above.

You don't have to copy everything, you can copy jus tthe Reports directory.

In either case copying everything over will restore your data as well. So if you have done some work already on the new install it will get overwritten so do an extra BACKUP.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

John
User
User

Post by John » 13 Apr 2006, 13:13

Thanks for your help that seams to have worked fine.

I have restored my data no probs.

I now have an issue with making a backup it won't let me save my backup i get a message.
" you don't have permission to open this file". "See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission".

Can you advise on the solution for access.

Thanks again

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by brucedenney » 13 Apr 2006, 13:20

That is an unusual message. Sounds more operating system than Sage.

Bizarre that it doesn't say which file you don't have permission for.

Are you sure you have access rights to the place you are attempting to write the backup file? Your not trying to backup to a CD drive by accident are you?

Check that you have access rights by going to that location in Explorer and then create or copy a file there.
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.