Need more, need help now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - pay-as-you-go support - no contract - tenth of an hour billing - expert help - fast service - no call queues
Need integration?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - with your shipping system - website - invoicing system - crm - cms - manufacturing - order import - back to back orders..
Need a report?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Excel reporting that pulls data from Sage - custom layouts - layouts that change adapt to your brands and/or for drop shipping.
Want web hosting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your own domain name - email - a shop - wordpress - woo commerce - ticket systems - help desks - forums - portals

Sage Line 50 won't open

Sage 50 general help forum - Free help and support for all general issues
mimlloyd
User
User

Sage Line 50 won't open

Post by mimlloyd » 20 Jan 2009, 20:51

I tried to open Sage yesterday. I double clicked the icon on my desktop and the login box appeared. I typed in 'Manager,' hit Enter and then waited .... Nothing happened. I've been trying since by using the desktop shortcut and the application from Program Files and nothing happens. Any ideas anyone? I'm running Vista on my PC.

Many thanks

niceguyedy
User
User

Post by niceguyedy » 22 Jan 2009, 10:43

what version of sage are you using on vista?
does it close down after entering your username or just hang on the log on window?

mimlloyd
User
User

Post by mimlloyd » 22 Jan 2009, 23:03

Hi, I'm using Sage 2007 on Vista. When the username/password box opens, I put in the default 'Manager'. The username/password box then disappears but the program doesn't open.

niceguyedy
User
User

Post by niceguyedy » 23 Jan 2009, 11:49

mimlloyd wrote:Hi, I'm using Sage 2007 on Vista. When the username/password box opens, I put in the default 'Manager'. The username/password box then disappears but the program doesn't open.
check where the program is installed.
right click the sage icon and look where it says "start in "

if its in Program Files, uninstall the program and custom reinstall outside of Program Files.
the prog wont work right installed this way

so many things can cause the problem your having, you could spend an hour going through them, only to have to uninstall either way.
and if its installed into prog files the 1st thing sage will recomend is the reinstall outside of PF.

mimlloyd
User
User

Post by mimlloyd » 26 Jan 2009, 14:06

Hi

I couldn't reinstall the program as I can't find my disk (very frustrating). But after speaking to someone in work, they advised me to check the properties of the program in Program Files and adjust the security settings to allow access to all users of my PC. Apparently this had happened to him with Vista and it was because of a system update that had altered the security access. I did what he suggested (bit of trial and error on what to click under the security tab in Properties!) and it worked.

I also had another program that didn't work and thought it just wasn't compatible with Vista, and so I did the same thing and that worked too.

Thanks for your help though - this is a good thing to bear in mind if similar queries crop up in the future.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by brucedenney » 28 Jan 2009, 15:08

Are you logged in as the same user that installed Sage?
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

mimlloyd
User
User

Post by mimlloyd » 28 Jan 2009, 18:12

Yes, and I'm the only user account on the computer. It's a personal one I use at home. The ones in work are accessed via username logins so access is granted according to need. I didn't expect problems at home. I've never had this problem with Win XP.

brucedenney
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sage Version: v28 UK/Europe/Africa

Post by brucedenney » 29 Jan 2009, 19:40

You can download your program from the Sage website.

Are you sure that V2007 had vista support?

If there is no Vista support, the simple way around the issue of security in the Program files directory is to install it into C:\sage instead (doing a custom install)
For just about anything Sage :- Discount subscriptions, pay-as-you-go support, application integration, reports, layouts, linked excel spreadsheets, analysis or any other help making life with sage easier/less time consuming Contact me.

mimlloyd
User
User

Post by mimlloyd » 29 Jan 2009, 20:10

I didn't know about downloading it from the Sage website - thanks for that. I've got the serial numbers stored separately so that will be okay if I have problems in the future. I'm not sure about whether or not the programme has Vista support - I suspect not.

It all seems to be working okay now and the security thing is something I can be aware of if it happens again to Sage or to other programs in the future. You don't realise how much you take computers for granted until they go wrong on you!

niceguyedy
User
User

Post by niceguyedy » 02 Feb 2009, 10:05

brucedenney wrote:You can download your program from the Sage website.

Are you sure that V2007 had vista support?
2007 has vista support as long as it is custom installed to by-pass the program files directory