Just to confirm to all that UAC is indeed the problem.
It appears that this is yet another poor part of this software and doesn't surprise me.
To run Sage (whenever Windows 7 or Vista [perhaps] is used), right click on the icon that starts sage, select properties, then select the compatibility tab. Near the bottom of this tab is a "run as administrator" tick box. Tick it. Click OK and start Sage.
I have spent waaaay too many hours with sage trying to make this software work. It is a program of workarounds... so if something doesn't correctly, think latterally.
Oh... ando other tip!!!
I spent a number of hours with a customers installation this week trying to work out why we couldn't enter into the postcode field when using the wizard to create a new customer (same for the new supplier wizard).
Uninstall, reinstall, UAC, full deletion, start with just the practice data and sample data... all to no avail!!
Only when the Sage customer services person and I were talking that I realised what was going on - The DPI for the windows desktop had been increased to 125%. We set this back to 100% (normal) and guess what... it worked!!
Sage were not aware of this, so beware of this little "feature".
Right, gotta go back and shout at the monitor a bit more...
(BTW: Sage tables are available via Access - or other ODBC compliant data access tool. this gives you access to ALL of the data (not just that which sage thinks you need).
DO NOT UPDATE THE DATA. But do use it for reporting...